Monday, July 14, 2008

Stenanthium gramineum

I just thought I would share a recent find. Stenanthium gramineum (Liliaceae) was blooming at Shawnee Mac Lakes outside of Salem, Missouri. This is only the second time I have ever seen this plant. The first time, one Mike Williams showed me a blooming specimen at Peck Ranch. That was ten years ago. Every growing season since, I have looked for Stenanthium to no avail. Stenanthium means "narrow flower" in reference to the skinny panicle, while gramineum is in reference to the grass-like leaves. Vegetatively, this fella looks just like a sedge. Click on the photo for details.

1 comment:

Justin R. Thomas said...

I also have been cruising the Lewis and Clark website. What great fun!! If you haven't already, you should read the article on Rafinesque.

The post didn't go to the top because I began typing the post several days ago, then I thought I lost it when I tried to attach a photo. Frustrated, I gave up on it. Yesterday, I noticed that it was being held as a draft. I guess when I published it, the original date was used. I couldn't find a way to change it.