Sunday, January 9, 2011

A Few Slide Show Rejects

Our annual botany slide show will be held next weekend; it really snuck up on me this year. This year, my slide show will highlight the trip that Justin, Brad, Doug, and I took to the Ozarks and Ouachitas in April 2010. As I did last year, I wanted to post a few of the reject photos that didn't make my slide show.

This is Silene virginica, a plant in the family Caryophyllaceae that is found throughout the eastern half of the United States. We found this plant in a dry, rocky woodland at Spurgeon Hollow preserve in Missouri.

Collinsia violacea is known from seven states in the southcentral portion of the country. We saw this member of the Scrophulariaceae at Middle Fork Barrens in Arkansas.

This interesting little mint (Lamiaceae) is Scutellaria parvula var. australis, known from much of the southeastern United States. We first saw this species at Dry Lost Creek Preserve, and later at Camp Road Shale Barrens, both in Arkansas.

No comments: